Meat clerks work in the meat department of grocery stores and butcher shops and are responsible for weighing, wrapping and pricing meat for customers. Depending on the store and responsibilities, meat clerks might be asked to slice deli meat or cut down larger pieces of meat for display at the meat counter. Meat clerks work directly with customers, and must have great customer service skills.
In addition, meat clerks must keep the counter and work area clean, and maintain all food safety standards. Meat clerks must be open minded on proper training and observe all safety procedures.
JOB SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Basic Mathematics: Meat clerks have to weigh out meat for customers and may have to handle money for customers. The ability to add and subtract quickly is necessary.
- High School diploma or equivalent is preferred, but not required.
- Must have great knife skills
- Customer Service Skills: Meat clerks speak directly to the customer. Good listening skills, speaking and communicating calmly, effectively and in a friendly manner, and patience are necessary.
- Stamina: Meat clerks often stand for long periods of time and are required to lift heavy objects.
- Flexibility: Meat clerks might be asked to work nights, weekends and extended hours. Having a flexible schedule is key.
Treasure Island Foods
Christ Kamberos and his brother opened the first Treasure Island store in 1963 on the north side of Chicago in a bustling, multi-ethnic neighborhood on the lake. Their mission was to provide a supermarket that would combine the conventional with the best of specialty, imported and domestic products at competitive prices.
Today, Treasure Island Foods remain a hands-on family business with 7 stores in densely populated areas of Chicago and North Shore suburbs of Wilmette. Our product assortments include whatever ingredients your recipes require including a large selection of organics and natural items. Our buyers travel the USA and Europe each year to find the "new things" and the best quality items available.
Company Website: www.tifoods.com
(if you already have a resume on Indeed)